header image header image Login header image Help header image News header image My Account
History From Heasdstones Logo

Graveyard Information

Annahilt CI

Graveyard image for this record

County : Down

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Annahilt CI

Civil Parish : Annahilt

Town / Townland : Glebe

OS Reference : J304574

Other Information : This is situated between the Lisburn-Ballynahinch and Hillsborough Ballynahinch roads in the townland of Glebe and parish of Annahilt During the last century it was thought that it was situated in an old pre-Christian fort but it is now considered that banks on the hillside are no more than an old cart track (Archaeological Survey of Co Down) However the church is said to have been founded by St Molibba in the eighth century It is referred to as Enaceilte in Primate Swayne's Valuation of 1422 The church was rebuilt in 1741 and the tower added in 1768 It is this tower and the foundations of the church which stand at the western edge of the graveyard The present church was built in 1856 The old registers dating from 1818 were destroyed in the Four Courts but the baptismal register dates from 1842 and the burial register from 1857 There are Vestry books of 1777-1819 and 1839-1901 The graveyard is very uneven and several of the eighteenth century stones are simply markers The oldest gravestone is of about 1706 though one commemorating four Presbyterian ministers goes back to 1682 All stones recording deaths before 1900 have been transcribed On the graveyard wall facing the road, is a tablet with this inscription:~ "AD 1929 This stone is erected in grateful acknowledgment to members of the public whose subscriptions enabled this wall to be built And in grateful remembrance of Ogilvic Blair Graham Esq, JP, DL, whose influence and generosity largely contributed to the success of this and many other undertakings "There are several monuments and window dedications in the church all of which have been copied The church also possesses a chalice and a paten both inscribed with the words:~ "Ye gift of ye Reverend Archdeacon Smyth to ye Parish of Annahilt, AD 1741" The pulpit has a tablet describing its origins:- "AMDG This pulpit was erected in Turney Parish Church, Bedfordshire, about 1571 by John, 2nd Baron Mordaunt In 1852 it was removed on the church being restored and in 1905 it was purchased by Major CL Graham, 4th Hussars, and presented to Annahilt Parish Church The Rev Leigh, Richmond preached from it 1905-1927".


spacer
Website designed by BRSsystems