header image header image Login header image Help header image News header image My Account
History From Heasdstones Logo

Graveyard Information

Ballyhalbert

County : Down

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Ballyhalbert CI

Civil Parish : Ballyhalbert

Town / Townland : Ballyesborough

OS Reference : J646618

Other Information : This is at a road junction 1 mile south of Ballyhalbert village and 3 miles east of Kircubbin It is in the townland of Ballyesborough and parish of Ballyhalbert The old church and graveyard of Ballyhalbert is in the village but with the settlement of the Ards by Scots and the establishment of Presbyterian congregations the parish churches fell into disuse In the nineteenth century the numbers supporting the established church grew and a new church for Ballyhalbert was built in 1850 The church registers date from this period and the oldest date of death recorded in the graveyard is 1854 The main graveyard is in good order with nineteenth century stones on all sides of the church There is a modern extension to the north-east All stones recording deaths before 1900 have been included.

County : Down

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Ballyhalbert

Civil Parish : Ballyhalbert

Town / Townland : Ballyhalbert

OS Reference : J648635

Other Information : This old graveyard is in the townland, village and parish of Ballyhalbert It lies on the landward side of the north-south road through the village, near the Portavogie end The earliest record of the parish is in the Taxation of Pope Nicholas of 1306 at which time it was called Talbetona after the Talbot family who acquired land there in the Norman conquest In 1622, when most of the churches of County Down were in ruins, it is described as "repayred" Throughout these centuries, certainly until 1605 Blackabbey had the patronage of the church and received the tithes Inishargy had passed out of use by 1622 but in 1704 a new church was built at Balligan for the united parishes of Inishargy, Ballyhalbert and Ballywalter The old churches at the latter two sites were then allowed to become ruinous The next development for Ballyhalbert was the building of a new church at Ballyesborough in 1850 to minister to the growing villages of Ballyhalbert and Portavogie The surviving registers naturally exist only from this period; baptisms from 1846 and burials from 1855 The graveyard is large with burials on all sides of the ruined church and inside it The wall was built (or rebuilt) in 1852 and repaired in 1905 The stones are widely spaced (compared with Greyabbey) but as elswhere in the Ards the majority are of slate and very readable Only a few are of sandstone or cement and have suffered from the wind The graveyard receives little care now but being largely in grass, the stones are readily accessible even in summer A few stones are badly damaged and will soon be lost unless repaired There is only one vault in the graveyard The oldest stone dates from 1716 and all stones with dates of death before 1900 have been recorded.


spacer
Website designed by BRSsystems