header image header image Login header image Help header image News header image My Account
History From Heasdstones Logo

Graveyard Information

Donagh

County : Down

Denomination : Presbyterian

Graveyard Name : Donaghcloney Pres

Civil Parish : Donaghcloney

Town / Townland : Ballynabragget

OS Reference : J119519

Other Information : OS 20 Grid Ref 119519. This is just off the Banbridge-Waringstown-Lurgan road on the small road through Donaghcloney It is in the townland of Ballynabragget and parish of Donaghcloney The congregation dates from about 1748 and there is an inscription over the door:- "Erected 1750, Rebuilt 1900" The graveyard extends on three sides of the church and is level The oldest recorded date of death is 1817.

County : Down

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Donaghadee CI

Civil Parish : Donaghadee

Town / Townland : Donaghadee

OS Reference : J589799

Other Information : The parish church and graveyard of Donaghadee are situated in Townparks townland at the end of Church Lane which branches off the High street The early history of the church is unknown but it was flourishing in 1306 along with churches of Haytona (Ballyhay), Ralfetona (Ballyrolly), and a chapel of St Kolman (possibly Grangee) Even the site of these three institutions has now been lost Templepatrick, also in the parish of Donaghadee has survived as a graveyard though the church and, more recently, the holy well have now gone The church was built in 1626 by Hugh, Viscount Montgomery, but only the ground and first floor of the present west tower were incorporated in the modern building In 1833 the tower was completed at the expense of Daniel Delacherois and in 1881 a major enlargement of the church was made with considerable rebuilding This involved re-orientation of the chancel which is now to the south The bell was given in 1877 and the clock added in 1892 The west transept is raised to accommodate the Delacherois vault underneath, the entrance to which can be seen on the outside There are many memorial tablets in the church and the,modern stained glass windows have memorial inscriptions All with dates prior to 1914 have been copied They include 2 fine armorial stones, one to Adair (qv) and the other with the Montgomery arms is listed at the end The baptismal and burial registers date from 1771, though there is a gap in the burials from 1786-1816 The marriage register runs from 1772 and there is an additional record of marriages between 1775 and 1777 There are also detailed records of the history of the parish from 1778 The baptismal and marriage registers of First Donaghadee Presbyterian church date from 1822 and those of the Second Presbyterian church date from 1849/50 In addition the Methodist church has registers dating from 1827 The graveyard is extensive and densely packed with graves It is very uneven and no satisfactory plan of maintenance has yet been devised In general the older stones are near the church on north, east and south sides and some of these have been re-set in the path or its surround The only vaults in the graveyard are the above-mentioned vault under the south transept and another standing nearby also to the Delacherois family An unnamed vault near this was demolished a few years ago as it had become dangerous Memorials of the Dead, vii, 271, in one of a series of articles by Francis and Philip Crossle, gives a detailed history of the parish His sources are the local records together with 'The Montgomery Manuscripts', Harris, Lewis and Lavens Ewart Most of the older stones in the graveyard are transcribed in MD but, as always, some were missed during this recording, some have been lost subsequently and there are typographical muddles Entries in Memorials of the Dead are in II, 62 (quoted from Harris); V, 176, 353; VI, 57, 252; VII, 271, 536; VIII, 37, 258, 511; IX, 32, 445; X, 13, 181; XII, 31 Beside the gate is a tablet with the inscription: 'This gate is the gift of Francis Allen, Esqr to the parish of Donaghadee on ye 2 ----- 1711.

County : Down

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Donaghcloney CI

Civil Parish : Donaghcloney

Town / Townland : Magherana

OS Reference : J103552

Other Information : The parish church is in the centre of Waringstown village in the townland of Magherana and parish of Donaghcloney The church was built in 1689 by William Waring and a north transept was added in 1830, a south aisle in 1858 and a chancel in 1888 The oldest memorial in the church is of 1689 and the oldest gravestone of 1709 The history of the parish is covered in the Rev E D Atkinson's An Uster Parish, being a History of donaghcloney, Dublin, 1898 In this the gravestones in Donaghcloney and Waringstown graveyards are transcribed and all which have survived in the latter have been checked and included here The texts of all the memorials in the church are also given below Atkinson's transcripts are included in Memorials of the Dead The graveyard is in very good order but six of the pre- 1865 stones have been lost during the century, presumably in the tidying process There is an extension to the north side of c1885 All stones with dates of death before 1900 have been included below.

County : Down

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Donaghcloney

Civil Parish : Donaghcloney

Town / Townland : Donaghcloney

OS Reference : J131535

Other Information : Situated alongside the secondary road from Banbridge to Magheralin, the old parish graveyard is in the townland of the same name It is on a mound forming a strong defensive position above the river Lagan There was probably a church here until the 1641 rising and certainly it was ruinous in 1679 when William Waring decided to build a church at Waringstown Even the foundations of the old church are hard to trace in the wild and rough graveyard The parish registers, dating from 1697, have been preserved in local custody and the oldest surviving gravestone dates from 1707 The Rev E D Atkinson, rector of the parish, wrote An Ulster Parish: being a History of Donaghcloney, published in 1898, and this among much other information contains transcriptions of the gravestones in the two graveyards There are a few omissions and inaccuracies and 8 stones have since disappeared All stones with dates of death before 1900 have been recorded below including those now lost but noted by Atkinson His transcripts are also included in Memotials of the Dead, V, 186-8 and 357-9 There are also a large number of undated grave markers, usually of cast-iron, which have been recorded.

County : Down

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Donaghmore CI

Civil Parish : Donaghmore

Town / Townland : Glebe

OS Reference : J105350

County : Fermanagh

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Donagh

Civil Parish : Drummully

Town / Townland : Donagh

OS Reference : H398299

County : Tyrone

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Donaghanie

Civil Parish : Clogherny

Town / Townland : Donaghanie

OS Reference : H504682

County : Tyrone

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Donagheady Old

Civil Parish : Donagheady

Town / Townland : Bunowen

OS Reference : C454045

County : Tyrone

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Donaghenry Old

Civil Parish : Donaghenry

Town / Townland : Glebe

OS Reference : H837720

County : Tyrone

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Donagheady CI

Civil Parish : Donagheady

Town / Townland : Bunowen

OS Reference : C449035

County : Tyrone

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Donaghmore CI

Civil Parish : Donaghmore

Town / Townland : Castlecaulfeild

OS Reference : H754629

County : Tyrone

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Donaghenry CI

Civil Parish : Donaghenry

Town / Townland : Stewartstown

OS Reference : H855707

County : Tyrone

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Donaghmore Upper CI

Civil Parish : Donaghmore

Town / Townland : Donaghmore

OS Reference : H769655

County : Tyrone

Denomination : Roman Catholic

Graveyard Name : Donaghmore RC

Civil Parish : Donaghmore

Town / Townland : Donaghmore

OS Reference : H769653

Graveyard image for this record

County : Tyrone

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Donaghmore Old

Civil Parish : Donaghmore

Town / Townland : Donaghmore

OS Reference : H768653

County : Tyrone

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Donaghrisk Old

Civil Parish : Desertcreat

Town / Townland : Donaghrisk

OS Reference : H821739

County : Tyrone

Denomination : Congregational

Graveyard Name : Donaghey Congregational

Civil Parish : Donaghenry

Town / Townland : Donaghey

OS Reference : H809717

County : Donegal

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Carndonagh CI

Civil Parish : Donagh

Graveyard image for this record

County : Donegal

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Donaghmore CI

Civil Parish : Donaghmore

County : Fermanagh

Denomination : Roman Catholic

Graveyard Name : Donagh RC (New)

Civil Parish : Galloon

Town / Townland : Moorlough

OS Reference : H395303

County : Monaghan

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Donagh

Civil Parish : Donagh

County : Monaghan

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Donagh CI, St Salvator

Civil Parish : Donagh

County : Down

Denomination : Presbyterian

Graveyard Name : Donaghmore Pres

Civil Parish : Newry

Town / Townland : Lisserboy

OS Reference : J108340


spacer
Website designed by BRSsystems