header image header image Login header image Help header image News header image My Account
History From Heasdstones Logo

Graveyard Information

Drumbo CI

County : Down

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Drumbo CI

Civil Parish : Drumbo

Town / Townland : Ballylessan

OS Reference : J330673

Other Information : This is in the townland of Ballylessan, on the Belfast-Hillhall-Lisburn road The oldest stone dates from 1783 and 19 have been copied in Memorials of the Dead (MD), X, 9 of which most are still extant All the registers of the parish date from 1791, that is, from shortly after lhe present church was built in 1788 Most of the eighteenth century burials of the parish were in the graveyard beside the present Presbyterian Church See "The History of Drumbo Presbyterian Church" by J B Wallace, Drumbo, 1937. The following inscriptions in two high-railed enclosures formerly covered with earth, ivy and weeds, were missed when the inscriptions were copied for Graveyard Inscriptions, County Down, 1966, Volume 1 and for the supplementary inscriptions in Volume 18 They were found and copied by Mr J Fred Rankin for his article on Michael Thomas Sadler in the Lisburn Historical Society Journal, 1984, Volume 5, 42-50. (ADDENDA) OS 9 Ref 330673. Here are recorded the inscriptions with dates of death between 1865 and 1899, further to the main transcription in Volume 1 The most noteworthy stones include one to Robert Narcissus Batt who died in 1891, the last male member of the Batts to live at Purdysburn House There is also a very attractive stone to Macmahon with an anchor and rope carved in high relief, doubly unusual in being in an inland graveyard This graveyard contains an unusual number of named marker stones, probably of the period 1880-1920 It was felt that these were of sufficient value to include The graveyard is unfortunate in being on a steep slope and some of the graves are as unkempt and derelict as they were when first visited 15 years ago. All stones with dates of death before 1865 have been copied as well as the memorial tablets in the Church prior to this date The graveyard is very uneven and many of the old enclosures densely overgrown. In the Church are two tablets not strictly memorial On the south wall of the south transept,-AD 1863 The chancel and this transept were erected by the landlords and parishioners, aided by a grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners of Ireland, Horatio Maunsell, AM, Rector Thomas Gray, James S Bell, Churchwardens Deo Optimo Maximo. On the north wall of the north transept:-This tablet is erected in grateful remembrance of the beneficence of the late Robert Batt of Purdysburn, Esqr and Mrs Calwell of Belvidere in building at their joint expense this north transept to enlarge and beautify their parish church to the Glory of God and for the benefit of the parishioners Horatio Maunsell, A,M, Rector Wm Moore, Josh Carson, Church wardens."


spacer
Website designed by BRSsystems