header image header image Login header image Help header image News header image My Account
History From Heasdstones Logo

Graveyard Information

Hillsborough

County : Down

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Hillsborough Hill Monument

Civil Parish : Hillsborough

Other Information : This pillar is on a low hill, a quarter mile to the south-west of the centre of Hillsborough It has a statue of the Third Marquis of Downshire on a tall fluted column Below the column is a square base with arms and an inscription, which is approached from the ground by three high steps The column was designed by William Murray, the cousin, partner and successor of Francis Johnston: the design was exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1847 (Inscription) To commemorate the public and private virtues of the most honorable Arthur Wills Blundell Sandys Trumbull Hill, Third Marquis of Downshire, Lieutenant of the County of Down, Colonel of the Royal South Down Regt of Militia and Knight of the Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick Alike distinguished for patriotism, rectitude of principle and honesty of purpose, upholding his station with becoming dignity, he was also mindful of the wants of others and practised its duties with benevolence and humility which won the regard of every virtuous mind, adding lustre to his exalted rank Those who best knew his worth and admired the uprightness of his character and conduct in the several relations of life, have erected this monumental column as a token of their friendship and esteem 1848 (On opposite side of base are the arms:- Quarterly: 1st, sable, on a fesse argent between three leopards passant gardant or, as many escallops gules; 2nd, party per bend sinister, ermine and ermines, a lion rampant or; 3rd, gules a cinquefoil or; 4th, arg a chevron azure between three trefoils Supporters:- dexter, a leopard or, spotted sable, ducally gorged and chained gules; sinister, a reindeer gules, attired unguled and plain collared or Motto:- Per deum et ferum obtenui Crest:- a reindeer's head couped gules, attired and plain collared or) (Third Marquis was born on 8th October 1788 and died on 12th April 1845).

Graveyard image for this record

County : Down

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Hillsborough

Civil Parish : Hillsborough

Town / Townland : Hillsborough

OS Reference : J245587

Other Information : This is an enclosed area to the north of Hillsborough Parish Church which is in the Main Street of the town There was no church on the site until 1662 when Arthur Hill built it in his new town There had however been an earlier chapel and parish of Cromlyn (Crumlin) from mediaeval times which had long been ruinous, and the Hill family had built an earlier church in 1636 which was burnt down in 1641 The graveyard is contemporary with the church and the oldest date of death recorded is 1686 (Kirton) It was enclosed in 1772 and bodies which had been buried close to the walls of the church were removed to the graveyard so that the ground around the church could be levelled The registers of baptisms and burials date back to 1777 and marriages to 1782 The Presbyterian baptismal register dates from 1833 and the marriage register from 1845 The stones in this graveyard with dates before 1851 were all copied carefully in Memorials of the Dead (MD), VI, pp 452-477 This includes notes on the church, some of those buried and the state of the graveyard A few have disappeared since 1906 and others are almost illegible from wear All have been checked and all stones with dates before 1900 are included below All the church memorial tablets are detailed in Canon Barry's book pp 107-117, and the older ones in MD, VI, 255-261 All those recording deaths before 1900 are included here.

County : Down

Denomination : Society of Friends (Quakers)

Graveyard Name : Hillsborough Friends

Civil Parish : Hillsborough

Town / Townland : Hillsborough

OS Reference : J242585

Other Information : This is in Park Street at the southern end of the town The meeting house is presumably that built in 1748 (Wright and Rutty) to replace the older building half a mile to the west in the present Castle grounds The above writers record that "In or about 1682 some meetings were held at Hillsborough though with great opposition, but peacably since the year 1699, and a large meeting settled there" The older burial ground contains no gravestones but that behind the second meeting house has 10 stones, either vertical or flat in the ground The oldest stone dates from 1869 and all have been copied The meeting house is seldom used now and families have gone to Lisburn and elsewhere.


spacer
Website designed by BRSsystems