header image header image Login header image Help header image News header image My Account
History From Heasdstones Logo

Graveyard Information

Inch old

County : Down

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Inch old

Civil Parish : Inch

Town / Townland : Inch

OS Reference : J476456

Other Information : This is a walled enclosure to the north of the old abbey The abbey is about half a mile south of the new road from Crossgar to Downpatrick across a new Quoile bridge It is in the townland and parish of Inch The word means an island and it was one in the Quoile marshes until modern times The site is very beautiful overlooking the river and Downpatrick Cathedral A Celtic monastery existed here of which little is known but in 1180 John de Courcy established a Cisterican abbey, the nave of which was completed about 1200 The abbey church fell into ruins in the fifteenth century and a new parish church was built in 1610 in the centre of the present grave- yard (Lewis) A stone from this church or earlier is over the Maxwell vault and a crucifixion scene of this period is in the modern church The ruins of the church were pulled down to make way for the Maxwell vault, which dominates the graveyard Two old stones of 1662 have been built into the approach to this and are the oldest extant in the graveyard though one to Melville of 1628 formerly existed in the abbey The graveyard Is in very good order but the Gray stone had to be pieced together from about 30 fragments, The present Inch Parish Church is 1" miles to the north and was built in 1730 with a tower added in 1784 and an aisle In 1826 One memorial tablet from it has been included below There is no graveyard round this church The Parish registers are preserved in parochial custody, baptisms from 1767, marriages from 1764 and burials from 1788 Two inscriptions from the graveyard are included in Memorials of the Dead, XI, 26 In the Linen Hall Library (Blackwood Collection) is a typed volume entitled 'Gossiping about the Parish of Inch' by T W Hanna, dated 1861.


spacer
Website designed by BRSsystems