header image header image Login header image Help header image News header image My Account
History From Heasdstones Logo

Graveyard Information

Killaney

County : Down

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : Killaney Old

Civil Parish : Killaney

Town / Townland : Killaney

OS Reference : J357580

Graveyard image for this record

County : Down

Denomination : Presbyterian

Graveyard Name : Killaney

Civil Parish : Killaney

Town / Townland : Carrickmaddyroe

OS Reference : J355595

Other Information : This is half a mile west of the Belfast-Ballynahinch road and of the modern Killaney Parish Church It is in the townland of Carrickmaddyroe and parish of Killaney The inscription over the door reads "Boardmills Secession Meeting House, Anno Ijomini 1846 Gloria Deo, Pax Hominibus " The congregation broke away from First Boardrnills at the time of union of the Synods but became united with Second Boardmills in 1926 The oldest date of death in 1848 and all dated before 1900 have been copied The old stones are widely scattered but are easy to read.

Graveyard image for this record

County : Down

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Killaney CI

Civil Parish : Killaney

Town / Townland : Carrickmaddyroe

OS Reference : J359594

Other Information : This is in the townland of Carrickmaddyroe and parish of Killaney just to the cast of the Belfast-Ballynahinch road [3 miles east of Sainifield] The old parish church was a mile to the south on a rise to the west of the main road It is not mentioned in the 1306 Taxation and nothing is known of its early history Lewis [1 837] states that the church was greatly injured in 1641 and is now in ruins At this time, services were regularly held in the parochial school house and the baptismal register and preacher's book date from 1836 There was no trace of the old church even in Reeves' time [1847] Lewis, in the second edition of his Dictionar [1849], mentions that the Marquis of Downshire had about four years since offered £150 and a plot of ground towards building a new church This presumably was taken up, for the church was built in the 1850s The new baptismal register dates from 1858, the marriage register from 1860 and the burial register from 1865 The Church of Ireland graveyard is very large and rough with on a few raves to the south of the church 'ne ol est stone records a death-of 1873 and all with dates of death before 1900 have been copied.


spacer
Website designed by BRSsystems