header image header image Login header image Help header image News header image My Account
History From Heasdstones Logo

Graveyard Information

Killyleagh CI

Graveyard image for this record

County : Down

Denomination : Church of Ireland

Graveyard Name : Killyleagh CI

Civil Parish : Killyleagh

Town / Townland : Corporation

OS Reference : J528527

Other Information : This is in Church-Hill Street in the town of Killyleagh (townland of Corporation) and forms the top of the hill overlooking the harbour It was built in the centre of the village in 1640, the old 15th century church being disused, and was rebuilt and enlarged with a tower and spire in 1812 The rectors in the period 1622-41 were presbyterians, and it is covered in A McCreery's "The Presbyterian Ministers of Killyleagh", Belfast, 1875 The early registers were lost and baptismal and marriage registers survive only from 1830, with burial registers from 1836 Inside the church are many fine memorial tablets, particularly to the Hamilton family, and all tablets with dates of death before 1900 have been copied Some of these appear in Memorials of the Dead (MD), Xll, 374-379 The graveyard is uneven but well kept It contains many seventeenth century stones and some of the oldest have been cleaned and the lettering picked out with black paint Two of the early Presbyterian ministers are buried here, and their stones are fixed to the outside of the church wall The largest monument, however, is the Dufferin vault, built in the early nineteenth century but with no memorial inscriptions Many of the family are also buried at Clandeboye, including Frederick Temple, first Marquis of Llufferin and AVA The graves of the Rev Thomas Dix Hincks, Headmaster of the Classical School at the Royal Belfast Academical Institution and Professor of Hebrew, and of his son the Rev Edward Hincks, Rector of Killyleagh 1822-1866, are also here The latter was a noted orientalist and one of the first to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphs and Persian cuneiform script The other noted family buried here is that of Sir Hans Sloane, including his father Alexander Sloane, but to whom there is no memorial (see E St John Brooks' "Sir Hans Sloane", London, 1954) There are, however, the gravestones of two brothers of Sir Hans who died young, Henry (d 1659) and John (d 1660) Sir Hans Sloane, physician and founder of the British Museum, was born in Killyleagh and though the house has recently been demolished, he is commemorated by a plaque in front of the castle He died on 11th January 1753 and was buried in Chelsea The oldest date of death recorded on any gravestone here is 1623 and all with inscriptions before 1865 have been transcribed Some of these appear in Memorials of the Dead, VII, 540-1; VUI, 42-4 and X, 27 and all are still extant.


spacer
Website designed by BRSsystems