header image header image Login header image Help header image News header image My Account
History From Heasdstones Logo

Graveyard Information

North Road Cemetery

County : Antrim

Denomination :

Graveyard Name : North Road Cemetery

Civil Parish : Carrickfergus

Town / Townland : Carrickfergus

OS Reference : J414878

Other Information : This lies in the North East Division of the town, to the east of the North Road, and just beyond the railway track It was established to augment the old churchyard of St Nicholas's A white marble tablet in the east wall of the mortuary chapel explains: 'This burial ground was provided for the parish of Carrickfergus in the year 1859 as an additional burial place for persons of all denominations pursuant to a bequest to that effect in the will of Charles Edmonstone Kirk of Thornfield, late captain 1st Royals, agreeably to the terms of said will the moiety of this burial ground lying in the centre and surrounded by the four walks, which run parallel with the boundary walls and are distinct thereform about 35 feet, has been set apart inalienably as a free burying place for the poor of this parish and for strangers The residue of the ground namely the plots which lie between the boundary walls and the four walks abovementioned remains under the disposal of the rector of the parish for the time being and the whole is under the control as an ordinary parochial burying ground A sum of two shillings and sixpence will be payable to the rector for each burial in the last mentioned plots as a burial fee, the same to be applied in keeping the chapel and burial ground in repair and order This fee will be exclusive of the sexton's charge and will be payable irrespective of the ownership of any particular parcel of ground by any family ' Below this is a smaller square tablet inscribed with a plan of the ground and the accompanying wording, 'MAP of the burial ground shewing the position of the drains therein ' The drains are marked in red Several members of the Kirk family were laid to rest under the chapel The ground remained in the possession of the Church of Ireland until taken into the care of the Borough Council in 1990 The earliest date of death recorded in 1853 (Donald) All inscriptions recording deaths before 1901 have been copied .


spacer
Website designed by BRSsystems