From the clachan of Raloo in the townland of Tureagh a steep and narrow track follows the route of what was once the road to Glenoe It terminates shortly after reaching the gate to the old graveyard The remnant of wall central to the graveyard is probably part of the church noticed as decayed in the Visitation of 1622 Little is known of its history, and today both local government and churches disclaim any responsibility for the place Difficulty of access is a disincentive to its use Since the opening of a new cemetery at Crosshill early this century funerals to this ground have decline almost to the point of cessation Because the twentieth century monuments are a small percentage of the total number of gravestones, all have been copied The earliest date is 1691 (Crawfovrd). During June 1840 Bleakly noted ahnost all the named from the gravestones we would expect to have beqn existing at that time but his "oldest date" of 1786 must have been a mistake as there are presently old stones stretching back in date to 1691 In 1902 George Alexander Bailie of Augusta, Georgia published his "History and Genealogy of the Family of Bailie of North of Ireland" which carried on page 74 an illustration of the "Bailie Arms Raloo Churchyard dated 1779" It is a semee of mullets with an eight pointed star as the crest and the motto "Nel clarius astris" No Bailie stone is to be seen in Raloo today Bleakly did not include the name in his list The annotation may be an error on the part of G A Bailie who visited a number of other graveyards in the county There are rubbings illustrating 17 armorial stones in the (Rster Journal of Archaeology, second series, vol VI, pp 167-172 which were made by F J Bigger and H Huges in 1900.
In the clachan of Raloo and the townland of Tureagh this plain but commodious meeting house was built in connection with the Remonstrant Synod during 1838 as proclaimed by the oval sandstone plaque above the door Of the two gravestones behind the church, that which memorialises the Reverend John Compton was erected years after his death by a man who was not a member of the congregation The date disagrees with the written history which relates that the young minister was found dead in his bed on Monday 27th March 1848 In the records of the church the entries of death are few, but marriages were recorded from 1846 and baptisms from 1870.
In 1838 when the church was founded on its present site of Crosshill, in Altilevelly townland, the congregation was in connection with the Ulster Synod The legend arched in cement over the main doorway informs us that the buildings were "renovated 1958-59" And built into the perimeter wall a sandstone block exhorts its readers "remember the sabbath day to keep it holy". There are only two gravestones here belonging to the nineteenth century; the adjoining cemetery is a twentieth century creation.
Church of Ireland
This delightful little church in Ballywffiffi townland crowns the top tier of the split level village of Glenoe, and at the rear rhododendron bushes screens the awesome drop to the waterfall It was built by the Church Accomodation Society of the Diocese of Down and Connor to the design of Charles Lanyon Although the buflding is of early Victorian date, the nave wall carries the arms of the Hanoverian kings above the vestry door Marriage records date from 1845 and baptismal from 1887 Paradoxically the only minister commemorated in the grounds was a Non-Subscribing Presbyterian, Thomas Smyth, whose sons were memorialised in the yard of their father's meeting house in the adjoining townland All stones recording deaths before 1900 have been copies; the earliest is that of John Moore who died in 1850.